From pulpit to stage
The building at 42 Botanic Avenue was put up in 1874 for the Reformed Presbyterian Church, designed by the architect William Batt in Romanesque Revival style. In 1930 it was rented to the Irish Evangelical Church, later the Evangelical Presbyterian Church.
By the late 1960s the congregation had thinned and the building was sold. It served as a cinema, then a bingo hall, before opening as the Belfast Empire Music Hall in 1987. Nearly forty years on it is still doing the job, which is longer than it spent as a cinema and bingo hall combined.